Each year, AWP offers three annual scholarships to emerging writers who wish to attend a writers’ conference, center, festival, retreat, or residency. The scholarships are applied to the event or workshop fees of the winners’ chosen program. Winners and six finalists also receive a one-year individual membership in AWP. Visit our website more information and a list of past winners.
Previous recipients of Kurt Brown Prizes (formerly known as WC&C scholarships), and former or current students of the judge are not eligible to submit.
Our judges this year are Siamak Vossoughi for fiction, Sandra Gail Lambert for creative nonfiction, and Ananda Lima for poetry.
- Your name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript, otherwise it will be disqualified.
- For fiction, one short story (or novel excerpt) up to 25 pages will be considered. Fiction must be double-spaced and presented in manuscript form with 12-pt font.
- For poetry, up to 10 pages will be considered. Each new poem must start on a new page.
- For creative nonfiction, up to 25 pages will be considered.
- You may enter in more than one genre, and you may also enter multiple manuscripts in one genre, provided that each submission is accompanied by its own entry fee.
- Please send us your best unpublished work.
- A $10 reading fee must accompany each submission.
Submissions are accepted between December 1 and March 30 of each year. Submissions are only accepted online via Submittable. Mailed-in submissions will not be accepted nor returned.
All winners will be notified by email by May 15 and announced on AWP’s website and in the AWP Annual Conference & Bookfair program. Three winners will each receive a $500 scholarship to attend a WC&C member program. Winners have one year to use their prize, and funds are paid directly to the selected program. Member conferences reserve the right to determine participants in their programs; winning does not guarantee admittance to any program.